The Ingredients for Alphabet Soup
Here are the awards and some of their acronyms which are used in the following pages:
- “Oscar” is used here as a shorthand for an Academy Award for Best Editing.
- ACE is American Cinema Editors.
- The Eddie is the award given by ACE (as significant as an Oscar).
- An Emmy is the American award for highest achievement in work for television.
- BAFTA is the British equivalent of the Academy Awards.
- The César Award is the French equivalent.
- FESPACO is the Ouagadougou Panafrican Film and TV Festival, founded in 1969, the major African film festival.
- The EDA is the award is given by the Alliance of Women Film Journalists (AWFJ).
- LAFCA is the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, which gives out numerous awards, including a Career Achievement Award.
- The AACTA is the award is given by the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television.
- The FCCA is the award is given by the Film Critics Circle of Australia.
- In India, the National Film Award is the most prominent film award. The Filmfare Award honors excellence in the Hindi language film industry. Both were established in 1954. The Star Screen Award honors excellence in the Bollywood Film Industry.
- The Grand Bell Award (대종상 영화제), also known as the Daejong Film Award, is presented annually by The Motion Pictures Association of Korea for excellence in film in South Korea. The Grand Bell Award is the oldest continuous film award in South Korea and has been called the Korean equivalent of the American Academy Award.
Films shouldn’t just be judged by awards, but they’re certainly one measure of achievement.
On the other hand, many great films never won any of these awards, and many great genres of film are never included in these awards categories.